Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tick Tock, Tick Tock...

The time is flying by for me and the family right now. I am getting close to leaving for an extended amount of time and there is so much to do. If you've ever been in the military you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Reba, Ann, Tyler and I are headed to Texas this weekend to welcome home my little brother from Marine Corps Recruit Training. It should be a lot of fun teasing the new Marine in the family although I am very proud of him.

I will be running the VX-8R on 146.520 simplex and 144.390 APRS for the duration of the trip. You can follow us at http://aprs.fi/ and http://www.openaprs.net/ . The latter of the two allows you to send an APRS message via internet to me if you would like to. My callsign/designator for APRS operations is W6EOD-7. I would love to hear from you if you get the chance. It will help break up the monotony of the drive.

I plan on taking the PFR-3 with me and a couple of wire antennas. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to get on the air but if I do keep an ear open for W6EOD/p on 20, 30 and 40M. Ops will center around the QRP calling frequencies.

On a side note I sent my Yaesu FT-817ND off to Yaesu for the second time today. Previously a couple of diodes went bad which caused the receive on 20m to be stone cold deaf. The rig was under warrenty at the time and was fixed with no charge. The problem now is that the PA/Finals are blown. To make matters worse the rig is no longer under warranty. I hope that Yaesu doesn't charge too much but I'm not expecting it to be cheap... The good news with it though is that my father in law Mike K7ELI will be using it this summer on his hiking and camping trips in the scenic Pacific NW. Make sure to keep an ear open for K7ELI Portable!

I'm taking the camera with me and a post of our adventures will follow when we get home. Looking forward to a QSO (digital or CW) with you and best of luck.

72,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

W6EOD

W6EOD
Water falls near Gotemba, Japan

Followers