Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sierra 30m Module Build

Today I built a 30m module for my Wilderness Sierra. This was my first kit build that went well. Previously I built a Tenna Dipper. That build did not quite go so well. I will talk more about that project once I have fixed it and have it working properly.

I started the project at 1200cst. The total build took me about 3 hours. Winding the toroids is what took the biggest bulk of time. First item of buisness as per the owner's manual was to inventory the parts.
Photobucket

Once that was complete I had to figure out just exactly what Bob from Wilderness Radio was trying to tell me with the note that he sent with the kit.
Photobucket
I finnaly figured out that the variable capacitors from the original run of module were different than the new ones. Although the function is the same the part does not layout to the board which caused me to think I had big problem! Turns out I didn't and a second look at his drawing made a lot of sense. Instead of three leads there are only two now.

Fixed capacitors in place.
Photobucket

Variable capacitors and the 18.000mhz crystal in place.
Photobucket

Here's the final product with all components in place to include the toroids.
Photobucket

From there it was time to move into the adjustment phase of the module (and time to see if my project worked). Thankfully the radio and module DID NOT go up in smoke when I powered up the rig.
Photobucket

A little tweaking of the Frequency Trimmer, PMO BPF, XMIT PBF and RCV BPF's. So far so good.
Photobucket

At this point and time I'm measuring 2.1watts out. I feel like I'm still a bit low but I want a break and need to research further what options I have. In the end you have one happy camper!
Photobucket

So thats all great you say, but how does it work? Well one reply to a CQ from Fred N4FG in Annandale, VA yeilded me a 539 and "FB ur 2w Steve". Thank you very much for the QSO Fred.

Lessons learned were 1. Toroids are NOT that bad! 2. Take your time. When something seems to be so mind blowing that you are convinced the end is near, take a break because it's not.

Hope you enjoy, 72 and hope to work you soon (on 30m of course)!!!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

W6EOD

W6EOD
Water falls near Gotemba, Japan

Followers