Monday, February 9, 2009

FYBO 2009

Ann, Tyler and myself made our way up to the Blackwater yesterday to have a fun afternoon in the great outdoors. The XYL had lots of studying to do and the best way for us to give her the peace and quiet that she needs is to go somewhere else.

As far as fun goes, we had a blast! As far as stations logged, well we didn't do so hot. I managed one PB. I heard plenty of stations but this being the first trip to the river this year, the kids were not interested in Daddy being on the radio. More about the radio in a minute.

We left the house at 1400cst headed north. Temps were in the mid 70's with clear skies. The kids were excited. They love being up in the Blackwater. The Blackwater State Forest is where we do most of our outdoor activities. It is over 200,000 acres of longleaf pine and hardwood bottoms. There is lots of space, pretty rivers and room to run. Even better, the kids can yell and scream and there is nobody around to get upset! More info can be found here http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/blackwater_river.html.

Ann & Ty ready to go.
Photobucket

W6EOD
Photobucket

Here is a picture of one of the service roads in the forest on our way to "our" spot on the river.
Photobucket

Once we arrived off the kids went. Ty hit the river just to come right out because it was "cold!!!"
Photobucket

Ann decided that she wanted to bury herself (and some help from Tyler) in the sand.
Photobucket

Meanwhile I got my station setup. Station consisted of a Wilderness Sierra, Emtech ZM-2, Te Ne Ke, and GP for 20m.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Overall I made one contact on 20m. Station was wq0rp in MN. I heard lots of CQ FYBO but everytime I'd get ready to go, one of the kids would find a bug, or need some help lifting a log up etc... I don't mind though. Being outdoors with the kids is first and QRP/p is second. I never QSY'd to 40m so I never erected the antenna needed for it.

WQ0RP, 559, MN, Larry, 5w, 41f

In summary it was a great day. I will be looking forward to next years Freeze Your Buns Off event. 72 and hope to work you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

W6EOD

W6EOD
Water falls near Gotemba, Japan

Followers