Thursday, April 16, 2009

PFR-3 Build

Slow & steady is the best way to describe my build of the PFR-3 (http://www.qrpkits.com/pfr3.html). I am making good progress and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I completed Group 3 (to include the Smoke Test) and half of Group 4 this evening. To finish up Group 4 I have 7 toroids to wind, tin and solder to the board.

Winding toroids does not scare me but, but it is tedious work. I use the Sierra build method of tinning the toroid leads. It is a different in that instead of scraping and tinning, you burn the enamel and then solder to the board. I have not ran into a problem with "improper leads" or cold solder joints so I will continue with the status quo. If you know of a better method, please do not hesitate to let me know!

I am really excited about finishing up with the project and getting it on the air. I hope to use it for Field Day in the Single Op, Single station, QRP w/alternative power category. I don't know what the official name of that is but I've still got time to research prior to the start.

I hope all is well with you and your's and look forward to working you soon! Best of luck and 72!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

W6EOD

W6EOD
Water falls near Gotemba, Japan

Followers